Saturday, January 14, 2012

Can The Car Your Family Drives Impact Your Chilshood??????

So I have a 5 month old baby girl, she is prefect in every way. She is the greatest joy and blessing in my life and I couldn't imagine a life with out her.

We like most families have two cars we have a:
Jeep Patriot and a Chevy Cobolt (2 door)

However due to the "2 door" issue we will be sooner or later buying a new car to replace it with. But what car do we get? Can the car your family drives truly have an impact on your childhood in one way or another? I think it can at least it did on my childhood, I have fond memories of the many different car my family has owned over the years.

Take the "Old School" wagon we once owned you know the one with the side panels.
I remember once when my sister (2nd oldest one, we will call her TT) TT and her husband if I remember correctly where in need of some household items. So we as a family because it's the only way we did things went driving around in hopes of finding items people threw out that could still be of use to them. Yes this may today be known as "garbage picking" however back in the day this was "making one person's trash, your treasure". Anyhow you may be thinking, WHY???? is this a "good" memory well  for 2 reasons.
1) We were together as a family, not doing something everyone would enjoy but none the less we were doing it together.
2) My sister BT (this sister is the 3rd oldest, or middle child) had to use the bathroom, obviously there wasn't one in the car:). And before my dad could get to a bathroom she went in her pants. Myself being the 4th child (or 2nd to youngest) loved to tell on people and did just that. I yelled "Dad, BT peed the car" and if you knew my dad you would know he loves being a smart-ass and he is quick witted with his replies (lucky for me I got that gene) so he in return (without missing a beat replied) "Rub her nose in it, it works with pets". I tried too but she was bigger than me:)! However it's one of my favorite memories from that car.

But one car that holds MOST of our families trips and memories is THE HAPPY BUS!
This was a tan  E Series Ford van from the 80s, it had the two big bench row seats in the back and could seat like 10 people. (one day I will find and put up an actual photo of it)
We would all pile in and go EVERYWHERE together in that van.
My dad had one rule: You MUST be smiling BIG I'm talking check bones up to your eyes and all teeth showing, and waiting outside when he pulled up to get you or else you couldn't get in. But in the van on any given weekend you could find all 4 of my sisters, my self,  my sister TT's husband and her oldest child along with my mom, dad, and Aunt Mary driving around enjoying the day together. Times were simple back then and a little crazy looking back but I feel a little sad knowing our little girl and my wife will never know life in THE HAPPY BUS! I wonder if tomorrow my dad showed up with a new HAPPY BUS if things would feel the way they use to?

For now  I still wonder what car do we get that with any luck will give our child the crazy, funny memories I have of my parents cars?

No comments:

Post a Comment