Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It Takes More Than Seeds to Build a Garden!

I remember one day when I was about 13 years old I was watching some home show with my father. They were talking about gardens and my father mentioned about how nice the garden was. To make conversation (I now assume my father never learned/knew about "making conversation") I agreed (to be nice,I really could careless)that it was a nice garden. Some how my dad managed to take that one innocent little statement for so much more than it really was. The next day (side note, my family tends to do everything big) my dad came home from doing some shopping (my parents do this A LOT) with a ton of garden items dirt, rocks, plants, rose bushes everything you could think of if you WANTED to start a garden. I asked my dad what all this stuff was for and he told me "for your garden you wanted"??????
HELLOOOOOO I never said anything except it was a "nice garden". Well since he was the "adult" (I use that term light, my dad is a big kid)  he of course was right.

I spent the WHOLE weekend covered in dirt as I planted "My Garden" under my fathers watch (it did turn out beautiful and always got a ton of compliments from the neighbors). It was the worse weekend ever, or at least as a teenager I believed it was. As an adult I love to plant a garden and I take such pride in the way the beautiful flowers looks and the veggies taste that we grow. I know now that I will treasure that memory forever, especially one day when all I have of my father is memories.

I didn't realize then (hell, I don't even know if it was meant to happen) but there was a lesson learned that weekend and it's one I have to keep learning over and over again. 

Relationships are seeds in our lives and we can't just expect if we plant them they will grow.

We have to shine the sunlight of our smile on them and warm them with our love. We have to water them with tears of joy and sometimes sorrows. But most importantly we have to take the time to stop, take a minute from the craziness of everyday and "smell the flowers" otherwise known as embracing life or the moment.

So be sure to take the moment to help the flowers in your life to grow. Because nothing is more sad than to see a garden that was once so beautiful  and filled with flowers, empty and sad.

1 comment: